SharePoint Timesheet Solution - Part 2

Ok, if you have not seen the first entry of this series I recommend you start here. If you have already read part 1 lets get right down into the dirty details.

We left of discussing the main time maintenance screen. This screen allows you to add,edit, and delete time entries based on the active week list. Please be aware that you can simply make every week active and it will show all the data throughout time entry. Another quick point. The system will allow you to enter time for somebody else. This was by design in case employees were out and tme had to be entered for vacation, training, or some other reason (a dreadful super glue accident involving a toilett seat for instance).

To be safe the main view that lists time will display any entry where you are the designated employee in the Employee list, Created By, or Modified By person. This, of course, is all based on the current logged in user.

This will allow you to see all the time you have entered. This will also ensure that if you enter time for somebody else that person will be able to see that time on their view as well.

So lets look at that screenshot again:



In this case you can see that Employee is listed as "System Account" and as I am logged in under that account I can see all entries related to "System Account" regardless of who made that entry.

Now, let me add an entry for another employee: Let's use Stephen Schuster as an example. I hear he is a tool anyway.















As you can see I am able to make entries and view entries for any user. This is very handy and also allows everyone to make sure that erroneous time isn't entered for themselves as they can see all entries where the Employee name is their account name.

Of course seeing the data isn't enough, sometimes things are entered incorrectly, so how do we deal with that.

Editing Timesheet Data

Luckily it is pretty easy to edit timesheet data. You may notice that next to each week entry in the timesheet view is the familiar edit icon. Simply click the edit icon and the form that usually allows you to enter new time data is populated with the approriate time entry row data for you to freely edit.









As you can see, when you click the edit icon (the row highlights to make it easy to see) the data from that row is populated into the Timesheet form for easy modifcations. When done, just click "Submit" and your changes are applied.

As with most other things in SharePoint I have versioning enabled here. The Ribbon commands are all active and will bring up the same form in a pop-up that you see on the main Time Entry page. Here is an example of version history.
























Delete Timesheet Data

Contrary to popular belief, I make mistakes. My wife would say that it is not popular belief at all. Regardless I decided to use the "Delete Item" option in the standard list ribbon to delete rows. I do have the icon (a nice big X) next to the edit icon but it just seemed too "in the way". You would want pop-up sfor each, and if they deleted, when they meant to edit...you get the idea.

So anyway, just use the checkboxes next to each row. Click the row or rows you want to delete and in the ribbon click the "Delete Item" option.

Of course, if you accidentally delete something you can always use the recycle bin to recover it. However, as with any delete option it gives you a nice big warning that only the most lathargic of people could mistake for anything else than deletion.

Tomorrow we will talk about the lists that drive all of this stuff. I may get into Reporting and InfoPath by Friday. Reporting is big so we will see how it goes.

If you are intrigued by this solution feel free to drop me a line. This is pretty much plug and play.

Comments

Unknown said…
Can you publish the solutions? It look very interesting
Unknown said…
Would love to see the next parts of this solution please....
surabhisusheel said…
can we have the code for the time sheet which u developed
surabhisusheel said…
can we have any code for the time sheet which u have developed
PI said…
Can you provide info and share the above solution?
Ajay Sinha said…
Can you please share the above solution.
Jon Hartney said…
Hi Stephen. I'm interested in this solution. Can you send it my way?
Thanks,
Jon
Unknown said…
this seems to be what I am looking for! could you please share this solution with me? thanks !
kugali said…
Hi Stephen. I'm interested in this solution, too. Can you send it my way?
Thanks,
Pearly said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pearly said…
Nice and simple! Can you please send me details of the solution? Thanks!
Unknown said…
Very nice, exactly what I have been looking for. Is there a way I code get the code?
Unknown said…
Hi Stephen

I would be happy to offer a payment for a copy of the code. Please contact me!

Thanks!
Vasily
Unknown said…
Hi Stephen,

I am interested in this solution and would willing to pay for it. Please contact me and we can arrange something.

Thanks!
Ryan
Jensterd said…
I am interested in this solution - would be very grateful if you would be willing to share - thanks!
Unknown said…
When a web based timesheet is implemented in an organization the possibilities are actually limitless. When a web based timesheet is used then there is no need to employ someone to manually look after the payroll entry and processing .
Web Timesheet service
Unknown said…
Is this solution something that would work with SP 365 and are you willing to provide it?
Unknown said…
Hi, nice solution. I would be extremely grateful if you can send me the solution? Many thanks in advance.
Robert said…
Looks really interesting and in any ways something I am looking for. Is there anyway you will be able to provide it?

Thanks
Karthikeyan said…
Hi, simple but a powerful solution.
It would be helpful if you can send me the solution?
Many thanks in advance.
Unknown said…
Looks great. I am interested as well. Do you have instructions for recreating it? Thank you!
jansen said…
Hi Stephen,

I am interested in this solution, please link to DownLoad
Unknown said…
Hi Stephen,

I like this solution, please point me the down-load and any istructions to use this solution. Thanks
babyfirecat said…
Hi Stephen,

I am interested in this solution. Can you please give me the link to download?
wilsjay said…
Is this solution published anywhere? I see quite a few other have asked, but have not seen a response posted.
kugali said…
Hi Stephen,

I am interested in this solution too. Is it possible to download the solution?
Karl said…
Hi Stephen

I am looking into time logging options for a client and would like to use your solution as a basis.

The client is using SharePoint 2013 but don;t forsee any problems using this solution in 2013?
Unknown said…
Hi Steven i am looking to implement something very similar, i would like to use yours as a base. could you provide it?
Unknown said…
Did you manage to get this solution?
Unknown said…
Steven,
I am very interested in seeing how this was completed. I like that the solution uses only lists to store the information.

has anyone used this solution and was it viable in your environments? Thx.
Unknown said…
Hi, Stephen!
Your solution is very interesting! It is compatible with SharePoint 2013?
How can I get the code for the project?
Vidal Kitoko said…
How can we have access to the source code?
sri said…
Hi,

How can I have access to the source coded and is it doable using SharePoint 2013
magnusch said…
Hello. Fellow first-gen SharePoint guy here. I am intrigued by the solution. Can I kindly access the source?
jayaseelanjesu said…
I need this plug or solution can you please kindly share the same
Unknown said…
I am very interested in your Timesheet Solution for SharePoint 2010. Can you send it my way?

Great work BTW
Ladybug said…
Hi this is the solution I've been looking for. Is there a way you could send the step-by-step instructions. Or tell me where I can find them?

thanks in advance,
Unknown said…
Hi

Thanks in advance.

CanI get step by step solution for the same.
Unknown said…
Is the code / source / template available? :)
Unknown said…
I am going through your time sheet template and am very interested in your solution. Would you share the code/files for installing. Thanks.

Marty Christensen
Stephen E.S. said…
Folks, I have an updated version of this solution. I will be posting a new blog regarding this solution. I have been busy working and as you all can see I pay no attention to this site. That is going to change. I promise.
Unknown said…
@SharePoint4RealFolks I am looking for the latest update on this Sharepoint time tracking solution. I would also love if you could provide your rough code. We are looking to implement something like this for a temp time tracking solution on our team. Thanks!
Unknown said…
Hi,

This is the solution I've been looking for. How can we have access to the source code?
Unknown said…
Hi,
Great job on this blog! How can I get the instrutions on creating this for my company?

Thank you!
Hi,
If it possible please provide with Nintex form and workflow for the Timesheet solution.

Thank you

Popular posts from this blog

SharePoint Timesheet Solution - Part 1

Well Hello...

Missing Download as a Snapshot, so am I!